Calvert Johnson (Photo Credit: The Santa Barbara Independent)
Calvert (Cal) Johnson (ASDP 00) is a talented musician who records and performs East Asian Organ and Harpsichord Music (mainly Japanese, South Korean, Chinese — including Taiwan and Hong Kong, as well as composers from those countries who live in Europe and North America). He is the Charles A. Dana Professor Emeritus of Music and College Organist at Agnes Scott College (Decatur, GA), where he serves as chair of the music department and teaches organ, harpsichord, sacred music, and women in music.
Cal was recently quoted in May 2011 in an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal (Asia Edition). The op-ed author, Lee Lawrence asks why there is so little interest in local organ composers in Japan, even though the country produces great organists. You can read the article here.
Cal was touring Japan earlier this 2001 but the tour was truncated in the wake of the March earthquake. This article was serendipitously published two days before he played a recital at Rikkyo University in Japan.
The 2010 Asian Studies Development Program (ASDP) National Conference will be held in Honolulu this year on June 29th, 30th, and July 1st.
The University of Hawaii Kapiolani is host this year with Joseph Overton serving as the local arrangements chair. Further assistance is being provided by the ASDP staff at the East-West Center.
Forms and information may be found at the Asian Studies Development Program website.
The Asian Studies Development Program (ASDP) will soon publish the Spring 2010 edition of the ASDP Alumni Newsletter. The ASDP Alumni Newsletter is likely to include information and articles about:
- individuals who have participated in ASDP programs;
- events and activities occurring at colleges and universities which have participated in ASDP;
- profiles of ASDP Alumni and ASDP Programs at local institutions;
- interviews with members of the ASDP family;
- a calendar of upcoming Asia-related Workshops, Seminars, and Institutes;
- updates on East-West Center Alumni Association news and events;
- other information relevant to ASDP Alumni.