During their visit to Washington, D.C. the Pakistani journalists had an opportunity to explore U.S. policy toward Pakistan and learn more about the U.S. system of government and democracy. Later on, they visited New York City, where they participated in discussions about media coverage of Pakistan and the residual effects of 9/11 on U.S. relations with the Muslim world.
Finally, participants saw a very different part of the United States in Columbia, Missouri. The prestigious Missouri School of Journalism is based in Columbia, and hosted a day of discussion sessions on the role of media in democracy and also on cutting-edge media technologies researched at the Reynolds Journalism Institute. The Missouri program also featured home visits with American families and a chance to interact with American citizens from diverse backgrounds.
During their stay in Missouri, the editors of Global Journalist magazine spent some time talking with the Pakistani journalists about challenges facing journalists in Pakistan and important U.S.–Pakistan issues. Global Journalist magazine reports on the state of press freedom around the world, covers developments in international journalism and serves international journalists. Global Journalist was first published in 1995 for the International Press Institute by former Los Angeles Times publisher David Laventhol and former foreign editor Alvin Shuster. In 1999 the magazine moved to the Missouri School of Journalism where the magazine continues to be produced by students at the School. Global Journalist is funded in part by the Donald W. Reynolds Journalism Institute.
At GlobalJournalist.org you can listen to the stories (transcripts included) of:
- Muhammad Aftab Qureshi, Reporter/Sub-Editor, Associated Press of Pakistan, Islamabad
- Muhammad Ejaz Khan, Bureau Chief, Geo TV/The News International, Quetta
- Henna Saeed, Reporter/Associate Producer, Dawn News TV, Lahore
- Kamal Siddiqi, Editor, The Express Tribune, Karachi
- Mehmal Sarfraz, Op-Ed Editor, Daily Times, and Joint Secretary of South Asian Women in Media, Lahore
- Visit the Pakistan-U.S. Journalists Exchange official website
- Read stories from a Pakistani journalist during the exchange
- Read the biographies of the Pakistani participants of the EWC journalists exchange (PDF file)
- Learn more about GlobalJournalist.org